Thursday, April 8, 2010

An introduction to Nonna's Kitchen

I've had a bug in my head for over a year now, a little tickle that has developed into a strong desire to write a biography about my maternal grandparents. Ann and Alfredo Cipolato ran the Broadway Market in Missoula, Montana from 1957 until 2004, supplying authentic Italian ingredients to Montanans in the days before mail order and Amazon. When I was a kid, people used to travel for literally hours to come to the Broadway Market for olive oil, Prosciutto di Parma and Parmigiano that didn't come in a green cardboard can. My grandparents have lived rich, interesting lives, and their stories deserve to be told.

Until I'm able to actually sit down and work on the book, I've come up with a temporary fix. For a few months now, I've been sharing some of my family's recipes and our history in a series of articles entitled Nonna's Kitchen - Italian Comfort Food. The articles appear in a local biweekly free newspaper here in Bigfork, Montana - The Lakeshore Country Journal. I have had lots of great compliments and comments on the recipes, and several people have asked how to share back issues with their friends and family, as the paper does not have an online presence. So, that's what this blog is for - reprints of the articles. New posts will appear every other week. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I am enjoying writing!

1 comment:

  1. Derek: I just accidentally found your blog. It's wonderful writing, especially since we've sat at your family's table and enjoyed so many good meals. keep up the writing. Gay Garard-Brewer

    ReplyDelete